Thursday, January 29, 2009

Third Day and the E!

I called UniShit in the morning over the site problem. The phone operator told me that there had been an “intrusion” and the IT personnel would resolve the issue by today.

I don’t know if clicking "ignore this warning" option at the error screen…


Reported Attack Site

This web site at [UniShit URL] has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.


…TWICE (the first gets you to the university website and the second to the LOG IN page) counts as the technical issue being “successfully resolved”. I am not going to try to log in.

I shall call them again tomorrow. They better give me a satisfactory answer.



I spoke to Mr. E just now. He and his Chinese wife had a big fight last night. When her folks brought her home, her brother told my friend to wait for the lawyer’s letter. The in-laws were naturally quite upset. The old man was absolutely livid and the old lady just cried. Mr. E’s folks tried to pacify the situation but the woman’s side weren’t interested. The whole “action”, as Mr. E put it, lasted less than five minutes.

Worried, I asked Mr. E if he needs to pay alimony in the case of a divorce. He said he’s not sure. I advised him not to let his wife know that he has another woman. My friend, Mr. B, has to pay a monthly maintenance of $800 and I do not wish that to happen to my friend. He replied that they can check his phone bills – he has been calling his Vietnamese squeeze every day. Still, he understands that this doesn’t constitute sufficient evidence to prove adultery.

It is obvious that things have been deteriorating between the couple. Although his Chinese wife has been living in Singapore for the past five years, she still doesn’t know how to take the bus. Mr. E bought her a bus guide but it didn’t do her any good. As my friend put it, she’s got a Masters degree but still know nothing. While he accuses her of being ignorant, she complains that her husband has been using hurtful remarks on her. She has a point, but so does he.

I asked Mr. E if he loves her. He doesn’t know himself, although he knows she does love him. Love cannot be one-sided and when there is no more love in a marriage it’s time to get a divorce. To complicate matters, Mr. E’s in-laws are pushing for them to reconcile, in spite of their daughter’s strange insistence not to do so. At some point in our conversation I offered him my congratulations. He was never suited for marriage. I felt happy that he finally has a chance to be free. Now I’m not so sure.

What of his Vietnamese squeeze then? Is he going to marry her, a widow with a kid? What are his folks to think? How are they going to survive on their paltry salary? Furthermore, I don’t think there’s going to be a clean break between Mr. E and his wife. Things are likely to drag on, boundaries are going to get blurry and a resolution is unlikely to be reached. Pretty much like the Israel-Palestinian situation. Assuming he marries her with a clean slate, unlikely as that is, will he lapse back into his philandering ways? It will be a vicious cycle.

Sometimes I think it’s a blessing in disguise that I am unwanted.

No comments: