Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Strange People and Rare Praise

A friend messaged me:


Received: 05:31:52pm 29-01-2009

Bro. Convenient to lend me 500bucks?if you lend me right I can only pay you back end feb. Not convenient Nevermind..No worries


Received: 06:31:47pm 30-01-2009

Want to eat my shit?


I have strange friends. (No. I didn’t bother to reply and give him a handout.)


I was in a black mood just now. I got a question wrong for one of my online quizzes in my Financial Accounting. There goes my 100% record. I’m fed up. Fucking fed up.

Checking the Discussion Board improved my mood. To date sixteen persons (including myself) have logged on to post their comments on business ethics. I am still the devil’s advocate. I replied to two of my classmates and the writing process calmed me down somewhat. The discussion topic will close on the 5th or 6th, and out of a class of over forty only sixteen have deigned to reply. Maybe the rest are not impressed that the Discussion Forum is only worth 5% of the overall marks. To each his own then.

For once the University has got things right. The Discussion Forum is great for engaging people and promoting critical thinking and discussion. It’s a pity that only Financial Accounting (to the best of my knowledge) has a system which allocates marks to participation. Unfortunately, there will be people who will snub the forum because they either do not deem the 5% worthy of their time and effort, or they believe that in the end, everybody will get full marks as the forum is just “for show”. I find it absolutely useful and I applaud the course chair who designed this module. I have been very critical of the school but I have to give credit where it’s due. However, I feel that it will be more useful if the 5% marks allocated to online participation is increased to 10% or 15%. People have to understand that critical thinking is an important aspect of education and the increased allocation will reinforce the view.

I still got to work on my Accounting. More headache.

No comments: