Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why did I Bother?

Jianyue introduced his friend to me last night. He should have warned me.

(I forgot what the bloke’s name is. Let’s just call him Nimrod.)

After saying our “hi”, we talked about atheism. And how we become atheists.

The ‘preliminaries’ concluded, Nimrod asked me if I ever thought about what happens after death, and if it bothers me.

I told him succinctly I couldn’t care.

Nimrod seemed taken aback at my lack of reverence. He questioned me further and I repeated my views.

Then he advised me to read philosophy. Tossing me the names of a couple of philosophers, Nimrod expounded existentialism and went on to explain the various offshoots of this branch.

I tried to get a word in, but Nimrod didn’t listen. Instead he continued typing. His typing speed was excruciatingly slow and after waiting minutes for him to finish, I got nonsense from him. I couldn’t make out what he was trying to get at. I had to ask Jianyue to translate.

Jianyue appeared just as lost. He advised me to be patient and that his friend’s a nice guy and all (we had a private msn window open.)

It was simply impossible to remain patient. I took the initiative and grilled him on what he wanted to say.

War erupted. We were totally opposite from each other and had no intention at reconciliation. Nimrod sees atheism only on a purely philosophical level. He believes that we should engage those who can think logically and ditch the atheists who are not intellectuals. His condescending attitude pissed me off and I told Nimrod that he should get off his ivory-tower, high-priced philosophy and stop his ego-onanism.

He retorted that I should read more and stop feeling sorry for ‘my lack of knowledge’. I should resolve my issues and not be so angry. Unfazed, I warned Nimrod to stop assuming things about me when he hasn’t even met me. (Funny how when you whack these intellectual types, they lose their objectivity and go personal.)

I explained to him the importance of engaging people on a personal level but all he wants is an arduous philosophical discussion at the table. Nimrod thinks philosophy is the only way to change the world. He’s not interested in ’stupid atheists’ who are just normal people.

Meanwhile I told Jianyue (on our msn window) that I was going to insult his friend. I had enough of this high-priced nincompoop and it was time that he got some real rollicking.

Immediately Jianyue interrupted us and tried to defuse the volatile situation. He might as well not bother. Nimrod started typing (again, very slowly) while Jianyue tried to pacify us, and I decided to get a few ‘quick ones’ in before Nimrod could finish his first word. The situation was tragicomic. Reminds me of the peace talks in the Middle East. Ceasefire, rocket attack, fight, ceasefire, suicide bombing, fight, talk, fight, ceasefire. Kind of like a sick merry-go-round.

I’d rather the two of us fight in a steel cage match. At least I’ll end his suffering quick.

In the end, we opted to retire for the night. Jianyue said we should meet up one day. Think my friend’s off his rocker.

Hell will freeze over before I sit down at a table with Nimrod!

And at 3am! People are happily shagging at this hour and I’m blasting another Dennis Oh.

Beautiful. I need to get a life.

















No comments: