Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sunday Ecstasy

Our martial arts practice last Sunday was enjoyable to say the least.

Baiqi (BQ), Xiangrong (XR), Ken, Xinyao (I’ll be cheeky and call her Miss Sporty) and I met at the entrance to the Esplanade. There we walked to Liang Seng where we did our shopping. Between themselves BQ and XR bought three punching pads, one big, the other two smaller. I feel like getting a sword and a staff, but could see no conceivable way to cart them home without being questioned by the security in the train station.

Having made our purchases, we went to the Esplanade atrium. The place was a bit crowded. As usual the arty farty people did their hip-hop dancing; we stayed clear of them. Obviously yoga has become quite popular. We saw quite a few people lying next to the wall, engaged in variations of the classic ‘corpse’ posture. Fortunately we managed to find a space and soon got into practice proper.

As we were still unused to holding the hitting pads, we spent the first twenty minutes or so experimenting with various ways of holding them. For some reason I just could not hold the damn thing without having it flip about when I got ‘hit’. Anyway, we started off executing turning kicks, taking turns to be the defender. I have not kicked a pad since I took unarmed combat in the army and it took a while to get used to it. On the whole we were quite okay with the front kicks and turning kicks. Ken and BQ were quite good; I think their Tae kwon Do background prepared them better for throwing turning kicks. XR and I were reasonably okay (traditional Chinese martial arts do not focus on turning kicks but that is a story for another day.) My left foot sucked through – I think footballers tend to end up predominantly one-footed.

Anyway, we got Miss Sporty to try and I think she is an absolute talent. She picked up the technique pretty fast and for a petite girl she certainly hit harder than one would expect. (Again, this is a reminder for me not to piss off a woman. But still, I like to tease ‘em….) We did a few side kicks, more for fun than anything else – my side kick sucked as well.

Oh well, my death wish aside, we also tried some basic punching and blocking moves. While Ken and BQ attacked each other, XR taught Miss Sporty and I the taiji way of evading an attack. I had a hard time getting used to it. I was taught the ‘hard-style’ method, which relies on speed and power, whereas taiji is softer and more technical in its application. It was quite interesting through.

We continued to do more punching and kicking. We also leaped and did jumping kicks. Ken had to leave early while Miss Sporty stayed longer. We blokes who remained continued to kick and punch and execute elbow strikes while Miss Sunshine watched us, possibly with some amusement, at the new age Neanderthals hacking away at one another. Prior to her arrival she had been cycling for five hours in East Coast Park. What a powerful woman! I think I may not look it, but I am also quite powerful. I played a football game before the training. I think I am a ‘strongling’ (a strongling is a strong weakling). XR and BQ are also powerful, pausing only occasionally in the training.

I think I am babbling now. I have just completed my Business Law question, and as we speak, am being eaten alive by mosquitoes that seem immune to my insecticide and fly unseen like goddamn Stealth Fighters. Don't mind me. I'm delirious.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yea, the powerful thing. Miss Sporty left around six - she was exhausted – leaving BQ, XR and I to our (torturous) devices. Each of us completed the following masochistic acts: 100 elbow strikes (50 for each side) and 50 turning kicks (using our left foot). We also timed ourselves to see how many punches and turning kicks (right-footed) we could execute in a minute. We could barely lift our legs to kick the pad and our waist was sore the act of bending over for the chambering. And air! We were practically gasping for air! BQ and I felt a slight headache from the impact. My right wrist is still a bit swollen from the blocking and the knuckles on my left hand is bruised. The little abrasions are a bit wet. My right hand is less sore but I can still write with either hand.

It was an excruciating exercise but I thoroughly relished it. We agreed unanimously that if we could keep this up week in week out we would be extremely fit.

On our way to the nearby food centre the three of us discussed about the martial arts. We didn’t really feel like eating when we got there, despite the good food; we were dehydrated – no, desiccated - from our exertions. I hope Xianghong, Cassandra and Miss Sporty can join us this Sunday. It would be smashing! Literally.

No comments: