Monday, March 15, 2010

On the Edge of Collapse

My weekends were toast because I had to finish my %#&@ Business assignment. We only received our marked group project on Friday when we were supposed to have gotten it back by Tuesday. When I checked through it, I found that the comments in it were made on Thursday. I don’t want to imply anything, but we desperately needed our group project for our final assessment and to return it to us 72 hours before the deadline was rather irresponsible innit?

The word limit was ridiculous as well. Since most of us already hit 7,000 to 9,000 words for our first assignment, it didn’t make any sense that our final assignment, which was an expansion on the first, should have a limit of 5,000. Our markers claimed that having a word limit would train us to be more concise in our writing, but this is absolutely bollocks. If I wanted to do summary writing I might as well go back and retake my bleeding ‘O’ levels. I spent an entire afternoon getting 8,700 words down to 5,500 and it was certainly not funny.

UniShit is really a good university to attend if you (i) cannot pass ‘O’ levels English to save your miserable hide; (ii) enjoy taking shit; and/or (iii) just want an easy degree. XH told me that they had over a month to finish an 800 word argumentative essay. 800 words! My Gawd! His English textbook was typical UniShit fare: a fucking disgrace. It did not take XH’s wife much effort to spot a few grammatical mistakes when she flipped through it. Really, has UniShit no shame?! This is a fucking degree course, not kindergarten class! I do not think UniShit has our interests at heart when they impose word limits on our essays. It is more likely they don’t want the people they employ and who are PART-TIMERS like their pathetic students, to read so many words.. It’s very stressful you know. Let’s not stress the poor dears so much. They have their jobs and family lives too. As for the students, they are burning the candle at both ends too but ‘I’m sure they are all working adults and should be more mature” so let’s just fuck care them and let them stew in their fucking juices yea?

I came close to doing myself in last night. I was in front of the computer since morning and after doing the video presentation, I had a wretched time trimming it. To compound my misery, I had to retype the accounting statements and the sight of these bloody numbers made me nauseous. I held my face in my head. I wanted to cry but there were no tears because my eyes were dry from working in front of the computer for one whole fucking day. My head hurt, my brain refused to function, and for the umpteen time I cursed myself for enrolling myself in this fucking torture chamber. There are easier paper mills to attend. I would have graduated if I had gone to one of those. Business degrees can be easily attained in Kaplan, SMA and other places, but no, of all the places in this whole burning shithole I had to go to fucking UniShit. WHY? WHY? WHY?!

The next time I hear full-time Business students from NTU, NUS, or SMU complain about how tough their *miserable* lives are, I am going to snap. I don’t think they even need to do video presentations. They have all the time in the world. They can get plastered on lady’s night, miss classes the next day and still survive the module. In fact, I rather think they can sleep their way through their season and still pass. You get a UniShit student to try such stunts and it is a fair bet that he won’t survive. I don’t understand why people can still drop out of a full-time business degree. When you have been through eighteen levels of Hell at UniShit, most academic business courses are a walk in the park. Although I have never seen a single paper from NUS or NTU, I daresay that if I were a full-time student there I would be challenging for first-class honours. You get an average NUS student to swap places with me and he will most probably die cock-standing.

Anyway, after much struggle, I finally sorted out my written report, Power-point slides and video. At 2am, I sent the shit in and surprisingly UniShit’s IT system held. If it had failed then I would probably not be writing this now. My classmate was still doing and while I admire his mental strength, I still think that he was crazy. There is only so much shit a man can do before the suffers a spiritual and mental collapse. . I was teetering on the edge last night. It could happen again.

No comments: