Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Enlightenment is Impossible Without Cynicism

They have been losing their marbles and they clearly still do not realize it. My colleague told me that her good friend in the our department has just received her marching orders. Another competent person gone. Eight years of hard work and exemplary service, and for naught.

We feel outraged and saddened that our boss is also leaving the company soon. I do not know to whom we will be reporting, but at this moment any speculation is useless. One could argue that being upset and infuriated at the inevitable is also pointless, but it takes a heart of stone not to feel a thing.

My boss does not deserve the axe. As a superior he is intelligent, hardworking, calm in the face of adversity, and demonstrates leadership quality. As a man he is understanding and cares about the people around him. He will be an asset to his next company, and an irreplaceable loss to this gulag.

To get rid of him when he is still limping from his knee surgery is damn despicable. What has he done to deserve this? This is a fucking disgrace! I hope those in top management stew in their own juices. Have they forgotten how we pulled off a miracle when we upgraded the business system and set up the online store in the space of weeks?

Our department is tiny enough. Now we are left with two to serve six countries’ worth of system problems. And there is no guarantee I will still be around come the new year. Good riddance to them then. Why not outsource the entire computer administration to Africa? That should save some pennies.

The grumbling aside, I want to thank him for taking the chance on me when nobody would. I wish more people in management will be open-minded like him, but I am on ‘I wish for world peace’ territory here. I hope he has a safe journey when he flies back to his homeland for the festive season. May he have a speedy recovery as well. I look forward to the day when I can stop him from scoring when we meet on the field.

For those who still insist that loyalty and wholehearted commitment to a company is a laudable quality can burn in the Hells. The company does not care about you. To them you are only a piece of meat that is good while it lasts. All the perks, bonuses, management speeches, town-halls mean nothing. They are but empty rhetoric, management’s thinly veiled excuses to reward themselves for their incompetence and lies designed to make you think you are loved so that they can squeeze every drop of blood from you. Lies. Nothing but lies.

No comments: