Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another Friend Gone

My poly friend, whom I have not seen since we attended our polytechnic graduation nine years ago, suddenly called me and invited me to his wedding. This is most a terrible thing. I remember, with much nostalgia, of our time in school. We did not consider the week complete without skipping classes at least once. Now my friend, Prof, is getting married tomorrow and another guy we did our final year project with is actually already married!

Oh the horror! Unthinkable!

So with a heavy heart I shall attend this most tragic of occasions. Surely, his life is over, and as a friend, it is all I could do not to weep at the demise of his freedom and dignity, and at the passing of a life unremarkable but reasonably lived. It is my duty to be with him in this most difficult period, and offer him consolation in his transition to an existence imprisoned. If I were a theist, I would pray for his Deliverance. Marriage and death are the same: life-changing experiences which will ultimately end ignominiously in being food for the worms. His life is gone. He is no more. Another bites the dust. May he rest in peace, and if not in peace, then in pieces, for there is peace in oblivion.

No comments: