Saturday, December 19, 2009

Another Improbable Escape

What a brutal season! Strained nearly to breaking point, being hard done by and struggling with problems on and off the field, it's been a struggle every step of the way. Overstretched resources and a poor start only made playing catch-up more difficult.

The run-in to the end of the league was particularly gruelling. No rest, only desperation and a sense of impending doom. It was like being stuck to the bottom of the table at Xmas, ten points off the pace and the pundits writing off any chance of survival. Admittedly my results are the worst so far. I only just escaped by the skin of my teeth, but if you offered me this result at the start of the season I would have shaken your hand.

I was chasing goal deficits in the final four games. Four games in a dozen days. I had to be mentally strong. I played like shite, was dominated in three out of the four. The ref was a fucking disgrace and every decision went against me. They camped in my half and put me under tremendous pressure. I could hardly get the ball off them. The numerous chances they created mostly found the woodwork or Row Z. Somehow I took the few chances that came my way, and then it was hanging on, massed defending and riding on luck.

I normally am not content with being poor but I shall toast my improbable escape with as much shamelessness I can muster. I am still as shell-shocked as I was during that hellish period. But deny it not, this has got to be one of the greatest escapes ever.

Next season will yet be another relegation scrap. When your back is against the wall, there is only one way and that is to go for a smash and grab.

No comments: