Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Slave Management is Slave Propaganda

I just finished my Human Resources Management (more appropriately known as Slave Management) examination. I am still recovering from my trauma.

Getting pasted in an examination is one thing, but being robbed is quite another. I thought my Business Law II examination was bad, but at least from a charitable point of view what happened could be attributed to administrative incompetence. The HRM examination was not just robbery. It was overt political indoctrination, entirely off-topic and therefore a fucking disgrace.

For starters, much of the material found in the textbook was not really tested. No job-design, recruitment, retention and human development strategies. There were ten chapters, but half of the questions in the examination focused on merely the one chapter on diversity. I was particularly gutted with this unbalanced approach, considering that I practically spent my efforts studying for ALL TEN CHAPTERS.

One may argue that as undergraduates we cannot expect straight questions in examinations. I do not disagree with that. In fact, I support this notion. While I have no complaints about having questions that are application-based (fitting concepts to a case scenerio), the fact that some questions negate this principle gets my goat. How many concepts, from how many areas in the field of HRM can you possibly dump onto questions that are based on just ONE chapter, especially when the line of questioning was so narrow? Of course, it would still have been possible to apply different concepts to even the narrowest question. I am not saying it is cannot be done. A good writer could do it. But when the examination was only two hours long, you didn't even have time to read and analyze the questions, let alone write enough material, and in a coherent fashion. No disrespect to my esteemed lecturers and professors. If they were in my shoes they would struggle too. After all, I am a BETTER writer than they are, judging from the course notes they wrote (I am arrogant, so bite me). Questions should focus on different areas, and not just on one chapter and then expect people to APPLY concepts from other chapters. Since they insisted on it, they should have given us three hours instead. Examinations should test a student's knowledge, not their writing speed.

As far as I am concerned, a university education should provide three things: a degree that leads to increased future earnings, knowledge pertaining to your chosen field, and a development of independent thinking. If my university were a student, it would have received a provisional pass for the first (a UniShit degree is only recognized locally), a B for the second, and a straight F for the third.

I know that our regime has been going ad nauseam about how good foreign talent are (in their eyes, every foreigner is a talent; notice they never refer to the locals as 'local talent'), but do they have to do that in school as well? Surely our *excellent* local state-controlled media is doing a fine enough job of indoctrinating 'approved' values to the populace! We do not really need any more of this. I AM NOT being xenophobic. I agree we need foreigners, but let us be balanced about it. We should focus on quality, not quantity, and we certainly do not have to convey this most pressing of needs like a broken record.

I know the regime supports my university financially, and this means that technically UniShit cannot be strictly considered as a private university. While it is understandable they would want to respect their sugar daddy by including the regime in their case study notes, to over-do it and become fawning sycophants goes beyond any standards of decency.

Every time I attend my fucking HRM classes, it was like attending the bloody National Day rally. It's 'we have a great regime', 'we have a great cuntry', 'we need to work ourselves to the ground and take lesser pay to maintain our competitive advantage', 'we need more foreigners because we don't have enough talented local people', blab blab bra abracadabra. ENOUGH ALREADY!

True, globalization and managing diversity are key concerns in the human resources field. I am not denying their importance, but surely they should not take precedence over the other areas I mentioned previously. Is it not true that irrespective of the composition of your workforce, there are certain principles, such as job design and satisfaction, job and business process design, recruitment and retention etc, that will always apply? If we do not even consider these to merit sufficient discussion, then who are we to talk about manageing a diverse workforce and 'coping with the challenges of globalization?' Want to look far, get your own backyard in order first, mate.

I would rather my lecturers concentrate more on HRM from a globalized perspective, rather than look it from merely a local and narrow-minded point of view. If they like to talk about globalization and its challenges so much, they should also talk about what goes on in other countries. Why not have some consistency? I had said it and I will say it again. Contrary to what our regime would have us believe, our nation IS NOT the centre of the universe. The world does not revolve on its axis for our benefit. There are lots of things beyond our tiny and unimpressive shores, and we should be aware of these instead of sucking on our kiddie blankets and repeating the mantra 'we are the best we are the best we are the best' like some religious retard from the Pure Land sect.

And the textbook - let me go off-topic for a while more because I need to rant - is another fucking disgrace. Not only does it exhorts the virtues of our national system like a Social Studies textbook, the sheer number of grammatical errors it contains is absolutely shocking! I have never read pedantic trash like this! For all their doctorates, the writers had absolutely no sense of editorial integrity, and not only that, they were too cheapskate to pay for an editor. (It could have been due to the unsavory circumstances of their births i.e., their fathers were too cheapskate to pay for a whore and their mothers were free of charge, who knows?)

I want to say for the record that I regret signing up for this wretched course in this wretched univesity. If I had money I would quit straight away. I am disgraced by my affiliation with this flophouse and this affiliation feels like an affliction. It is like a cancer, a malignant growth, and it will get worse the longer I stay. To all the Hells with this craphouse!

No comments: